Thursday, January 12, 2017

No More "Good Morning" For Disney World's Magic Kingdom

Last time, I blogged down memory lane about the opening ceremony at the Magic Kingdom and how much I loved it.

Sadly, if you never got a chance to see the new opening in person, you won't be able to now. 

(c) Disney

Now, guests no longer gather outside the park gates and wait for the Mayor of Main Street to come out and Mickey Mouse and friends to roll up on the Main Street Train.

Nope. Now, you get to hang out on Main Street for an hour before the park opens and see the opening ceremony in front of the castle. 

Before I go any farther, take a look at the new opening ceremony below:

*sigh*

Let me first say this: I know why they made the changes. There have been a couple of security incidents at Disney lately (with two separate individuals trying to bring guns into two of the parks) and, between that and the Orlando nightclub tragedy, it's easy to understand why Disney would want to tighten up security.

And, to be honest, I can easily see how having guests congregate in a small, confined area in front of the main gate could be a security nightmare. So, from that perspective, I get it. (Again, crowds at Disney aren't usually that great at park opening -- but still.) 

But, making changes for security reasons doesn't mean there aren't other ramifications. Let's start with...

The Cons:
  • The focus of the opening show has shifted from Main Street USA and the Mayor to Cinderella Castle and the royal herald -- a clear shift from democracy to monarchy. In a theme park called "The Magic Kingdom," perhaps not that big a deal but...a little troubling nonetheless.
  • If you think it's lost on anyone, Disney, that by allowing guests on to Main Street up to an hour early when nothing else is open, you've left guests with nothing else to do but shop...well, you're not fooling anyone. I was always surprised that Main Street was always open after the park closed, but not before...so I guess we've opened it up on both sides now. A shameless, transparent capitalist ploy. (So that part of democracy is still safe, I guess.)
  • This is a bit shallow, maybe, but this new song is not nearly as catchy as the old medley which included snippets from "Good Morning." 
  • This is probably the biggest deal for me: the old opening was centered around the Walt Disney World Railroad, and the steam engine pulled up to the station and all the characters got off. That steam engine? Was Walt's pride and joy, and was always a sentimental (and subtle) way of acknowledging his presence and honoring him. Taking away the railroad...takes away a piece of Walt. 
  • THERE IS NO MORE FIRST FAMILY. Bringing a little extra bit of Disney magic to one special family by letting them help open the park? For shame, Disney. The magic should always be the focus. 
The Pros: (because there are a few pros...)
  • If everything on Main Street is open, that means Starbucks is open. And yes, our first stop is usually Starbucks because it's damn good coffee and if I woke up extra early to see the magical opening ceremony, I'mma need caffeine. Disney Days are long days. 
  • The Fairy Godmother is front and center.
    Now--this is a purely selfish "pro." When my husband and I retire, we fully intend to move to Orlando and work for Disney. Since my dreams of being a princess are long gone, my new dream -- no, goal! -- is to be the Fairy Godmother at the Magic Kingdom. My shorter stature will come in handy, I'm already a little "plump" (no willowy princess figure here!) and my chubby cheeks were born to be rouged up and peek out from under a blue hood. (I am 100% serious, y'all.) I want to wear the blue robe, sign autographs, bring smiles to kid's faces...and ride in parades. And now the Fairy Godmother gets to go out on the balcony of the castle and wave a magic wand and help open the parks? Okay. I'm on board with that. (For purely selfish reasons.)
    Do you hear that Disney?! In about 30-35 years, I'll be your Fairy Godmother -- I'm starting my job application now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment