And, yes: that is Keira Knightley.
I have mixed thoughts about this.
On the one hand, it's a Disney movie that looks absolutely gorgeous. So of course I'm excited.
Also in the "plus" column -- my daughter's name is Clara (she was named after a Doctor Who companion though; not the character from The Nutcracker) so if this Clara is a princess (1) she can share a name with a Disney princess and (2) we'll buy ALL the Clara merchandise because, Hi. I'm a good little Disney consumer.
Another plus: this looks like it has a lot of girl power. Clara looks like she undergoes some sort of warrior princess transformation which could bode well from a gender studies perspective.
And, of course, Misty Copeland.
Another plus: this looks like it has a lot of girl power. Clara looks like she undergoes some sort of warrior princess transformation which could bode well from a gender studies perspective.
And, of course, Misty Copeland.
But on the other hand....I don't know. It seems a little too Alice in Wonderland to me. Curious girl enters fantasy land with a cast of magical creatures and characters and undergoes a journey of self-discovery which results in her empowerment and subsequent victory over Evil.
Now, don't get me wrong. I love Alice in Wonderland (the Carroll book -- not so much the Disney adaptation, although it was creative in its own way) but that doesn't mean I want the story to become a formula for media companies to use for every coming-of-age story with a female protagonist who travels to a fantasy land. It's been a while since I've seen The Nutcracker (and I'll admit that I've never read the original Hoffman story) so perhaps the story does need some updating. I have vague recollections of the Mouse King fighting the Nutcracker....but Clara saves him by throwing a shoe? And then he whisks her away to the fairy-tale land of flower dances and sugar plum fairies...so, not terribly problematic, but perhaps there's room for improvement/updating. And, after all: that's the true litmus test for a new adaptation of a beloved story: what is the "something new" you're doing with the story?
Now, don't get me wrong. I love Alice in Wonderland (the Carroll book -- not so much the Disney adaptation, although it was creative in its own way) but that doesn't mean I want the story to become a formula for media companies to use for every coming-of-age story with a female protagonist who travels to a fantasy land. It's been a while since I've seen The Nutcracker (and I'll admit that I've never read the original Hoffman story) so perhaps the story does need some updating. I have vague recollections of the Mouse King fighting the Nutcracker....but Clara saves him by throwing a shoe? And then he whisks her away to the fairy-tale land of flower dances and sugar plum fairies...so, not terribly problematic, but perhaps there's room for improvement/updating. And, after all: that's the true litmus test for a new adaptation of a beloved story: what is the "something new" you're doing with the story?
ReplyDeleteWho are the Best Bitcoin Recovery Experts? Cryptocurrency Tracing and Recovery | Hire A Hacker for crypto recovery
Alpha Recovery Experts are a trusted and reliable solution for individuals seeking to recover lost or inaccessible cryptocurrency assets. With a team of expert cryptographers and cybersecurity specialists, the recovery expert utilizes cutting-edge technology to navigate the complexities of blockchain forensics and retrieve lost or stolen digital assets. ALPHA RECOVERY EXPERTS proprietary recovery protocols are designed to ensure the utmost security and confidentiality, providing his clients with peace of mind throughout the recovery process. Whether you've lost access to your wallet, forgotten your private keys, or fallen victim to a phishing scam, ALPHA RECOVERY EXPERTS are dedicated to helping you regain control of your cryptocurrency portfolio. The customer-centric approach, combined with their unparalleled technical expertise, has earned the team a reputation as a go-to solution for cryptocurrency recovery. Don't let lost or inaccessible assets hold you back - contact Alpha Recovery Experts today to take the first step towards recovery.
For More inquiries, contact them at,
Email; Alpharecoveryexpert@consultant.com
Homepage; Alpharecoveryexperts.com