Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Captain. Freaking. Marvel.

I've never been a big comics fan. I had a small collection of Archie comics (she said as she was binge-watching Riverdale -- I was totally Team Betty and harbored a deep irrational resentment for Veronica -- I'm glad that rivalry isn't a thing on the show) but they were mostly just random issues my mom bought me at the grocery store.

Aside from that...I watched Dean Cain and Terri Hatcher in The Adventures of Superman and I watched Smallville back when The WB was a thing. But Superman and Batman...they exist in pop culture in a way thats transcends comic books. You don't need to have picked up a single comic book to know about the moral compass of the Man of Steel or the tortured background of Gotham's Dark Knight. (Although I did love the cheesiness of the 1960s Batman series; I'd watch it with my parents on Nick at Nite.)

All of that to say -- I was never a big comics fan. And when an ex was Fanboying over the first Iron Man movie, I rolled my eyes and wasn't convinced that Robert Downey Jr could convincingly portray a hero let alone carry a franchise. (Yeah, yeah, yeah. Past Lisa was kinda dumb in that regard. She also refused to watch the first Thor movie with Chris Hemsworth and was in love with a guy who is an ex for obvious reason. Hindsight.)

But then The Avengers came out while my husband and I were dating, and my husband was a fan and was appalled that I had never seen them. (Honestly, between that fact and the fact that I had never seen the Star Wars movies, I'm surprised he put up with me. 😂) Aaaaand I was hooked. Kevin Feige hasn't had a miss yet and the new spate of DC movies are...soul-suckingly bad. Except Wonder Woman. She is kick-ass and amazing and everything I could want in a female superhero. It bothered me that the MCU, a stronger franchise in almost every other way, couldn't compete. (Don't even get me started on Black Widow.)

Until now.




I know there's a lot that I don't fully understand -- things about Kree and Skrulls and Ronan and Captain Marvel's backstory -- and obviously the thing I want the most (to know how in the world she's going to fix everything that happened in Infinity War) isn't going to be in the trailer, but I'm still super excited. Brie Larson looks amazing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment