Monday, August 28, 2017

Rumored Name Change for Hollywood Studios

Okay, so all of this is largely unconfirmed rumors at the moment, but with Disney, most rumors turn out to be at least somewhat true in the end so...I'm going to go ahead and vent about this.

With all the changes/renovations/closures going on at Hollywood Studios (Star Wars Land, Toy Story Land, the closing of the Great Movie Ride -- I'm still not ready to talk about that last one *sob*), Disney is apparently considering one more: a name change to the park.

[Sidebar: it's also, according to this article from Madison.com, the least visited park which...hurts my heart. Granted, the article doesn't include any actual numbers or cite any data, so it's not the most credible source, but it claims that Hollywood Studios has been "the place that has been dead-last in attendance among Disney World's four theme parks for the past few years" and that "it will no longer be ridiculed as a half-day park." I had no idea that it was either "ridiculed" or "considered a half-day park." Of the four, I definitely consider Animal Kingdom to be the half-day park, at least for adults, because until recently, there hadn't been a night-time show, so we always left around lunchtime. Of course, I'm the person who could ride Tower of Terror 20 times in a row and I also love all the shows at Hollywood Studios, so clearly I'm a bit biased. Plus, having Fantasmic there ensures we stay there most of the day. Ugh.]

ANYWAY. I digress.

The point is, now they want to change the name. Which...okay. I get. (Although, I still call it MGM because that was the name when I was little, and that's what it will forever be in my heart.) They're completely overhauling the park (*sob*) and changing it's "function." From what I understand, the park was opened in the early 1990s mainly to compete with Universal Studios, offering a "behind-the-scenes look" at movies/film/Hollywood. That's why you had attractions like The Great Movie Ride (*sob*) and the Stunt Show (my little brother's favorite because "cars") and The Backlot Tour. (I still remember thinking the Golden Girls house was a real house. Nope.) But even Universal has changed now (Hi, Wizarding World of Harry Potter) and the schtick doesn't work. They even used to do some animation at Hollywood Studios, and I remember taking the animator tour where you could watch the animators at work.

But these alleged names? Are HORRIBLE.

According to ThemePark Insider, the full list of potential names includes:
  • Disney Kaleidoscope Park
  • Disney Storyverse Park
  • Disney Hyperia Park
  • Disney Beyond Park
  • Disney Cinemagic Park
  • Disney Legends Park
  • Disney XL Park
  • Disney Cinemagine Park
Granted, this hasn't been verified -- and I'm pretty sure these types of surveys usually ask/tell/warn you not to share the information, probably for the reason that you'll piss off a lot of people -- but still. I can't imagine taking my kids to Disney's Kaleidoscope Park or Hyperia Park. What does Hyperia even mean? Autocorrect keeps changing it to "Hyper" so there's that. None of them flow well, like "Let's go to Magic Kingdom today!" And XL? That just seems lazy.

Just no, Disney. Just no.

No comments:

Post a Comment