Wednesday, January 10, 2018

"Brown-Face" Controversy & Disney's Live-Action Aladdin

Me, anytime I see news about Disney's live-action Aladdin:


Also me:

Today's news is brought to you to by the cautiously optimistic news that Disney is not actually engaging in brown-face:

Read the full article at Vanity Fair


I mean...yay? 

I've said it before: I feel like this adaptation is going to be a train-wreck. Maybe it's the law of averages -- you can only have so many acclaimed blockbusters before one just misses the mark but....every time news about this adaptation comes out, it just screams disaster. 

Is this really where we're at, Disney? Have you learned NOTHING?!

*sigh*

I guess you could say that, on the bright side, Disney wasn't putting brown face on "extras"; they claim they were "darkening" the faces of crew members so that they could "blend in." Which...seems like a hasty cover-up for PR reasons, but that's just my thought. 

“It’s not whitewashing,” he said. The actor then used a metaphor to explain the importance of diversity. 
“The thing is that the garden should be filled with flowers of different kinds,” he said. “If not, the garden is going to be very boring. So you’re gonna go and see this beautiful garden with colorful flowers, and I just hope that you enjoy the journey.”
“Just go enjoy the journey,” Negahban said, “because you will definitely love the film. It doesn’t matter how old you are, the film has something for you to take away from it.”
Which should bode well for the film, whatever reports are circulating in the media.

But then again...voice actors have a history of defending the films they're cast in: Russell Means controversially defended Pocahontas, saying that focusing on the historical inaccuracies took away from the fact that it was a film that finally admitted the English were egregiously in the wrong.

I feel like I say "we'll have to wait and see" a lot but...

No comments:

Post a Comment