Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Disney Donates $1M For Orlando Victims

Big news tonight: Disney is donating $1 million to the OneOrlando Fund "to assist those affected by the tragic events in Orlando." 


In addition to their donation, Disney has announced that they'll match, dollar-for-dollar, every (eligible) donation made by their employees. They're also providing free accommodation for the families and friends of the victims as well as opening several blood donation centers across the properties.

My $0.02:
I linked to the official announcement from Disney on their blog -- better to get information from the original source -- but I originally read the news from Entertainment Weekly via Facebook. And I'm shocked by all the people who are trolling Disney saying they're not doing enough. (Although, maybe I shouldn't be surprised. There's also a comment about how Disney bans people with tattoos from entering their parks which...no. Just no. Yes, cast members have to cover their tattoos while working, but that's another matter entirely.)
And, to be fair, there are a lot of people defending the donation -- and I agree with them. Disney didn't have to do anything -- although, given their presence in Orlando, it would have been a major PR disaster if they hadn't. But again--they're a business. They don't have to make a donation. And as for the amount? Those saying that "a million dollars" isn't enough...I don't think any amount would be.

I just wish this conversation didn't have to happen at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment