Sunday, June 12, 2016

Moana Teaser Trailer!

It's finally here! A teaser trailer for Moana!


I am beyond excited for this movie -- despite the fact that I know very little about it.

Thoughts:

  1. LIN-MANUEL MIRANDA. That is all.
  2. I love, love, love the sequence with the tattoos. It's done in the "traditional Disney" 2D style, and it kinda reminds me of the muses and the Grecian urns in Hercules. 
  3. The computer animation is gorgeous as well -- this is going to be a beautiful film. 
  4. It's interesting that the teaser trailer features The Rock's character, Maui, rather than the titular protagonist....I'll try not to read too much into that.
  5. Many people are already commenting on how The Rock is of Samoan descent--very important since this is one of Disney's "diverse films." (This hasn't really been an issue for Disney lately -- in their more recent films they have used voice actors that match the ethnicity of the characters, like Asian-American actors for Mulan, but still.
I *really* hope that this princess movie continues Disney's forward progress. They have a great momentum going from Frozen, and I'd love to see Moana be a spirited, independent princess with agency. 

And wouldn't it be great if there was no love story? 

No comments:

Post a Comment