Friday, May 4, 2018

I Cannot Even With This Mulan Mess RN

A few weeks ago, I went to the outlet malls with my mom. [This was before Toys R Us announced they were closing all of their stores. Legit closing -- not like those "Going Out FOR Business" sales you see at all those stores in the beach.] We popped into the Toys R Us outlet to look for Easter basket gifts and, of course, we ended up in the Disney section. 

Where I stumbled upon this:


Like...I don't even know what to do with this.

  1. How old are they supposed to be? I get the Animator Dolls series -- especially when there's an actual younger version of the character in the film. But these? They look younger -- not like their counterparts in the film -- but at the same time, they still look adult? It's weird.
  2. They don't even look like themselves -- Mulan looks like a weird version of that Dolls of the World Thai Barbie doll. And IDK what's going on with Shang. 
  3. Don't even get me started on that slogan: "Princess Mulan brings great honor to her family." PRINCESS Mulan? I know she's part of the Disney Princess brand/franchise, but I've never heard her referred to as Princess Mulan. And where did her crown come from?!?
    And how exactly is she bringing great honor to her family? Not as a warrior, in that outfit. That pink thing, coupled with the fact that she's paired with Shang, would seem to imply that, after everything that happens in the movie, the way she brings honor to her family is through her marriage. 
You know I normally support/defend you Disney, but your merchandising people missed the mark on this one. 


No comments:

Post a Comment