Monday, January 19, 2015

Disney-Inspired Wedding Cake

Springboarding off of my previous post on Disney's copyright lawsuits...

When my husband and I got married in October of 2013, we had a Disney-Themed wedding. I think I can say that we pulled off it off tastefully -- when you tell people you're having a Disney-themed wedding, they can give you some epic side-eye. It can very easily devolve into cheesy and cartoonish. (I admire the bride and groom who had The Little Mermaid themed wedding, and the bridesmaids' costumes are kinda cool, but it just wasn't for us.) 

But when we met with the woman who was making our cake, she was very clear on what she could -- legally -- do and could not do for our cake. Apparently, she had bought a few Disney cake pans a couple of years ago and used them to make cakes for kids birthday parties or something. 

So she added photos of the cakes to her website gallery -- and Disney found them. I don't know how, but they did. And they sent her a cease-and-desist letter. 

Which blew my mind. 

I think that buying the cake pans and using them for individual use is fine. But when you use them to make a profit, Disney comes after you. 

But, Fun Fact: While the mouse ears are copyrighted, and Mickey himself is copyrighted, the three circles that essentially symbolize Mickey Mouse are not (to the best of my knowledge) -- after all, it's just three circles. 

And we loved our wedding cake:



Photos (c) Catherine Ann Photography 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment