Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Let It Go and Defy Gravity


When I first saw Frozen in the theaters, I was completely blindsided. Everyone -- including some of my then-current students -- said it was amazing, and yet...I remained skeptical. I had seen Brave after all, and it was...meh. So my expectations were pretty low, and I kept my "academic hat" off. It was, actually, a lot like when I read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone for the first time. Just as I totally bought into the whole "Snape is the EVILEST EVAR" thing, I totally bought into the whole "this-is-just-another-Disney-princess-movie" set up. (Note to self: stop underestimating children's media. You would think that as a scholar of the subject, I'd be able to see the traps, but no.) 

But even though it took until the end of the movie to fully convince me that Disney was doing something different, I picked up on the similarities between Elsa and Elphaba from Wicked as early as "Let It Go." 

 (c) jennisney @ RedBubble

So when I stumbled across this article,  "How Idina Menzel's Portrayal ofFrozen's Elsa Finally Set Wicked's Elphaba Free," it was, as cheesy as it sounds, like I had found a kindred spirit. For instance, Molly Sprayregen starts by writing about the first time she saw Wicked:

"I have seen Wicked six more times since that night, but no Elphaba has ever compared to the soul and power that Menzel thrust into the show's not-so-wicked witch. I followed Menzel's career ever since she enchanted me as part of Wicked's original cast, and with the release of Frozen, I am happy that the world has finally recognized a talent the Broadway community has relished for years."
The first time I saw Wicked, I was 21, had graduated college a few months earlier, and was trying (and failing) at grad school in London. (Clarification: It was more of a life-fail than an academic fail. There was no support system for international students, so I was just kind of isolated and floundering.) But as I sat in the third row and watched the powerhouse that is Idina Menzel absolutely OWN that stage, I fell in love with her and with Elphaba. Maybe it was because it wasn't the greatest time of my life, but Elphaba's story resonated with me.

(c) Anna Welker @ RedBubble

Since then, I've seen Wicked....well, a lot of times. And "no Elphaba has ever compared." (Not that I'm picky or anything. But it is a tricky thing--to capture both the power and the vulnerability that the role demands.)

But back to Frozen. Sprayregen also made the same connection between Elsa and Elphaba:

"I don't know if I would have made an instant connection if it had not been sung with that same resilient voice, but knowing Wickedas I do, it is impossible to ignore the soul of Elphaba resounding through the kingdom of Arendelle, permeating Elsa's words and actions."
Then, she goes on to look at some similarities between the two movies/characters: (1) you have strong, individual heroines who are misunderstood, largely because of their magic; (2) repression of that magic is bad and acceptance of it is freeing; and (3) the main focus is on the female relationships, whether between friends or sisters, and the romantic relationship, while present, takes a backseat.

But the main difference is in the endings:
"These stories were released 10 years apart, and I can't help but view them as one continuous narrative.[...] To me, Elsa is a reincarnation of Elphaba, returned to life in another body and another land, but with that same, tortured soul yearning to break free. Through Elsa, this soul is given another chance to get it right, and this time, instead of spending the rest of her life in solitude, Elsa finds a way to show the people of her kingdom that she can use her powers for good. Elsa becomes Elphaba's second chance at redemption and finding the community she deserves. Finally, after ten years of fighting for it, Menzel's tortured character found a way to be herself and also be loved by others."
It was a connection I had made subconsciously, but never really thought about it. I would love to know if Jennifer Lee and the Lopez songwriters had seen Wicked (I think it's safe to say they have...it's a pop-culture phenomenon, after all and Robert Lopez wrote the music for Avenue Q).  And if they have seen it, was it a conscious decision to tap into Wicked? (Not too conscious, or that'd be plagiarism...) But did the Lopez team have Elphaba and Idina Menzel's portrayal of her in the back of their minds when they wrote "Let It Go"? After all, that song was the reason Elsa didn't become the villain -- and, to quote Galinda, "Thank Goodness."

Sprayregen ends by thanking Idina Menzel, and she does it so much more eloquently than I could:
"Elphaba's link to Elsa shows us that you can always find a way to maintain your individuality without giving up everything else -- even if it takes a decade to figure out how to do it. [...] Through Elsa, Menzel finally set Elphaba free, and I want to thank her for taking on the Frozenrole and showing her longtime fans that it is possible to both be loved for simply being ourselves. I want to thank her on behalf of all of us who have waited 10 years to see a happy ending to Elphaba's story."
(Although I would disagree that Elphaba doesn't get a happy ending...she does, in her own way. She just doesn't get acceptance from the masses; she's still viewed as an outcast and demonized in the public consciousness. But that doesn't mean she isn't happy...it's just a different, more traditional, heteronormative happiness. And, especially after reading the complex roller coaster that is Gregory Maguire's original novels, I liked that. But I like Elsa's freedom and empowerment so much more.)

No comments:

Post a Comment