Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Disney Artwork -- Anoosha Sayed

For some reason, I love those social media posts where Disney Princesses are envisioned as "something." And pretty much whatever you can imagine Disney Princesses as, some graphic artist out there has done it. (Even hot dogs.)

The latest to pop up on my newsfeed was "Disney Princesses as Millenials" by Anoosha Sayed. According to Sayed, the project is "a series of digital illustrations of what I imagine these girls would be like as 21st century teens/young adults." She also " tried to be accurate to their personalities, writing little backstories for each character. I also put [in] little homages to their movies."

While not my favorite reimagining -- mainly because I don't see a whole lot of re-imagining going on, but that's just me -- they are pretty to look at. And they do get you thinking about what each princess might be like in the 21st century. (If you think about things like that. I do.)

My favorite, and probably the most unique re-imagining, is probably Snow White, the Social Media Queen:
I love that Sayed made her full-figured and curvy -- as the 1930s Princess, she's definitely a different body type than the more willowy (and more criticized) princesses.

Runner-up for me goes to Belle, the Fangirl:

Belle would be the fangirl. I don't know if she'd be into anime, but okay. She'd definitely be a Harry Potter fangirl though -- a Ravenclaw all the way. Although, she'd probably be a Twihard too...I can see that really being a story she identified with.

And then there's Esmeralda. Who I love is included, but I'm not sure she'd be a ballet dancer...given her gypsy roots, I can see her being more of a burlesque dancer, even jazz, but not really ballet.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment