Sunday, February 7, 2016

I'm Going To Disney World!

Okay. Not really. I'm not going to Disney World -- but someone tonight will probably utter those words.

I'm a Peyton Manning fan -- such a class act, IMHO -- and I'd love to see him go out on top, but being a Carolina resident, I feel like it's blasphemous not to root for the Panthers. So I call tonight a win-win game. (Anyone but the Patriots. Well, really anyone but Tom Brady. I think that comes from being raised in a Giants household.)

But another win-win situation?


So, I *could* go to Disney World...basically, to encourage Disney guests to stay at the Swan & Dolphin -- which, while on Disney property (they're walking distance from the Boardwalk, Beach & Yacht Club, and EPCOT), are not technically Disney hotels anymore; you don't get quite the same benefits -- residents of NC, SC, and Colorado get a BOGO deal. Book at least two nights, get one free. 

Added Bonus? If your team wins the Superbowl, residents of that state get a free room upgrade. Which...staying there, maybe for my birthday weekend in November, walking into EPCOT for Food & Wine...there are worse things!

I've always found it a fascinating link -- Disney World and football/the Super Bowl. I mean, not now, because Disney owns ESPN, but the connection has been there since 1987.


Phil Simms -- of the New York Giants, thank you very much! -- was the first to say it -- although it just as easily could have been John Elway. The story goes that Michael Eisner's wife came up with the idea -- during the Eisner era, everything was a marketing strategy -- and they offered each quarterback a pretty penny to say the phrase if his team won. The Giants did, Phil Simms said it, and the rest is sort of history. 

Again--now it makes sense, with Disney owning ESPN. But in 1987? I guess Disney World (or Land, perhaps depending on your team's location...?) was a logical place to celebrate a fairy-tale win? 

I'll leave you with another Giant in his celebratory parade:


Will it be another Manning riding alongside Mickey? Or will Cam Newton teach Mickey how to dab?  

Actually, that'd be worth seeing!

No comments:

Post a Comment