Monday, October 16, 2017

Disney-Bounding -- Tinkerbell

A few classes ago, a student asked me if I dressed like a Disney princess on purpose. (I hope this was a compliment.) I said I didn't, and it's true. I don't consciously dress like a Disney character to go to work, but I'm sure the Disney movies I grew up on and the characters I adored subconsciously influence some of my fashion choices.

Due in part, I think, to the popularity of Dapper Days as well as the Disney rule that anyone over the age of 14 (how arbitrary!) can't dress like a Disney character in the parks (lest it confuse the tiny humans) unless it's at the Halloween party, there's been a uptick in DisneyBounding. What is DisneyBounding? Basically, it's dressing like a character -- being inspired by them -- but not wearing an identical costume. Check out a few examples here, but Googling and/or Pinteresting will yield copious examples.

I was thinking about that again this morning when, because of the rainy forecast, I threw my hair up in a top-bun. I've never been a girl who spends a ton of time on her hair or makeup, probably because I never really "learned" until I got to college. That was never something my mom taught me -- if I needed make-up done, we went to the Clinique counter at Belk -- and my high school friends were similarly disinterested. And my swimming friends -- well, I think we all realized the futility of spending 20-30 minutes after morning practice blow-drying and straightening our hair and applying make-up when it would all be undone 6-7 hours later during afternoon practice. The number of times I went to school with sopping wet hair...

But I digress. My point is that, yes: the top-bun is easy and fast (although it probably takes me much longer than it should) but it has the added bonus of making me feel like Tinkerbell. I know that Disney critics and scholars probably have their opinions about the Disney version, but I don't care. She's my favorite. She's blonde and sassy and petulant and a little bit vengeful. So if I ever stumble on a green dress suitable for teaching, you bet your bottom dollar I'll buy and proudly wear it to teach:


I'd probably substitute the wings for a sensible cardigan though. 😉

Confession: I have never DisneyBounded at a Disney Park, mainly because I have too many geeky Disney shirts and I prefer comfort over style when I'm spending 12+ hours on my feet in the Orlando heat & humidity. But maybe now that The Dress Shop is open at the Disney Parks it'll be easier to coordinate? 

No comments:

Post a Comment