Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Prince Anders Coming To Agrabah

Um, okay.


Fresh from the Hollywood Reporter -- Billy Magnussen has been cast as an "original character" (re: not in the 1992 animated film), Prince Anders. (And also that Nasim Pedrad will play Jasmine's handmaid...I always did think it odd that the only three people living in such a huge palace were the Sultan, Jasmine, and Jafar.) Which...is an odd bit of casting news. My first thought would be that he's one of the suitors who the Sultan brings in to try and impress Jasmine, but...yeah. Maybe that scene's being expanded/reworked?

IDK. Of all the live-action adaptations of my childhood Disney staples currently in the works, I am the least excited about Guy Ritchie's adaptation of Aladdin. (I am more excited about Tim Burton's Dumbo than this one.) Which is a shame, because this could have been such an opportunity for Disney to retell an iconic tell without, you know, whitewashing it. I know there was a lot of casting controversy (which may or may not be resolved), but maybe not having a white male as a director would have been a good idea? Also, I'm just not a fan of Guy Ritchie's style, so there's that.

Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment