Monday, September 18, 2017

The Disney Version

I was talking with a student after class today about how Disney has a tendency to "Disney-fy" the original fairy tales it adapts -- giving the much-darker-tales a happy ending and omitting the "squishy" stuff. (See, for instance, the original ending to "Sleeping Beauty" or Hans Christian Andersen's "The Little Mermaid.") We talked about "The Little Match Girl" in particular -- could Disney give that story a happy ending? (I think they could. They'd sprinkle a little pixie dust in the writer's room and bibbidi-bobbidi-boo, you'd have a Disneyfied story through rose-colored classes.)

Regardless, our conversation made me think of this post from Disney Memes:



One of these days I'll get around to reading those newly-discovered fairy tales. But I'd still bet that Disney could take one of those tales and turn it into a blockbuster.

No comments:

Post a Comment